Mark Rittman is joined by Craig Stewart to talk about application and data integration, ODI and Sunopsis, SnapLogic's approach to hybrid on-premise/cloud integration and the rise of data preparation and dataflow-based cloud integration tools.
Mark Rittman is joined by Independent Consultant Chris Webb to talk about MDX & DAX, MSAS and SQL SQL Server and the fall ... and rise, of Microsoft BI
Mark Rittman is joined in this episode by MapR's Tugdall Grall to talk about MapR's platform differentation and relationship with open-source Hadoop, scaling and streaming, microservices, and MapR's platform strategy around big data workloads in the cloud.
Mark Rittman is joined by Elastic's Mark Walkom to talk about Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash and the Elastic Stack; business models built-around an open-source software core; and their move into cloud services with Elastic Cloud
Mark Rittman is joined by Vasu Murthy, Oracle's Senior Director for Product Management of Oracle Business Analytics to talk about what's new with OBIEE and Oracle Data Visualization and the recently released Oracle Analytics Cloud, a dive into the technical architecture of these new additions to Oracle's BI platform, and Oracle's vision for hybrid on-prem/cloud analytics.
Mark Rittman is joined by Gartner analyst and ex-Oracle Database Cloud Service PM Rick Greenwald to talk about IT’s continuing (and essential!) role in corporate BI&DW deployments and the debate around Mode1 vs. Mode2 Analytics, how we got here, and the future of data warehousing database platforms as we move into the cloud.
Mark Rittman is joined by Alex Olivier from Qubit to talk about their platform journey from on-premise Hadoop to petabytes of data running in Google Cloud Platform, using Google Cloud Dataflow (aka Apache Beam), Google PubSub and Google BigQuery along with machine learning and analytics to deliver personalisation at-scale for digital retailers around the world.
Mark Rittman is joined in this episode by Cindi Howson to talk about Modern BI and last year's Gartner BI & Analytics Magic Quadrant, the rise of self-service BI and IT's new role as enabler rather than owner, CIO priorities around BI & Analytics ... and, is the BICC dead?
- Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms
- Modern BI Platforms: The Role of the Data Warehouse and Semantic Models
- What CIOs Say About BI and Analytics
- Select the Right Business Intelligence and Analytics Tool for the Right User
- Create a Centralized and Decentralized Organizational Model for Business Intelligence
- My Big (Fat) Data Governance Rant
- Cindi Howson Gartner Network Blog
Mark Rittman is joined in this Christmas & New Year special episode by none-other than Robin Moffatt, head of R&D at Rittman Mead and an old colleague from my consulting days, to talk about his experiences with Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR) for BI + Analytics and how "the devil's in the detail", and to hear his take on what happened in the BI and analytics world in 2016 and what to look out for in 2017.
ETL & Analytics Offload from Oracle to Amazon Web Services using Apache Spark, Redshift, and Presto
- Blog: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-5/
- Other four articles in series : https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-1 / https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-2-code-development-with-notebooks-and-docker// https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-3-running-pyspark-on-emr / https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-4-analysing-the-data)
Source Control and Automated Code Deployment Options for OBIEE
- Blog: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/source-control-and-automated-code-deployment-options-for-obiee/
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/rmoff/source-control-code-deployment-and-concurrent-development-for-obiee-12c
All You Ever Wanted to Know About OBIEE Performance…but were too afraid to ask
- Blog: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/10/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-obiee-performance-but-were-too-afraid-to-ask/
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/rmoff/still-no-silver-bullets-obiee-12c-performance-in-the-real-world
Apache Kafka's Role in Implementing Oracle's Big Data Reference Architecture on the Big Data Appliance
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/rmoff/kafkas-role-in-implementing-oracles-big-data-reference-architecture-on-the-big-data-appliance
Analysing the Panama Papers with Oracle Big Data Spatial and Graph
Mark Rittman is joined by MapR's Neeraja Rentachintala to talk about Apache Drill, Apache Arrow, MapR-DB, extending Hadoop-based data discovery to self-describing file formats and NoSQL databases, and why MapR backed Drill as their strategic SQL-on-Hadoop platform technology.
Mark Rittman is joined by Gluent's Tanel Poder to talk about Hadoop, Gluent Data Platform, the coming of the hybrid world and how Hadoop will evolve as it moves into the cloud.
Mark Rittman is joined by Graham Spicer in this UKOUG Tech'16 Special to talk about BI past, present and future including the history of Oracle OLAP, running and owning a consulting business over 30 years of changes in the industry, what's hot on the market today, and what skills and techniques are still relevant even as we adopt big data products and look to new methods of analysis.
Mark Rittman is joined once more by Stewart Bryson, talking about Oracle's recent reboot of it's cloud big data platform at Oracle Openworld 2016, thoughts on DataFlowML and comparisons with Google's Cloud DataFlow and Amazon Kinesis, and data storytelling with Oracle Data Visualisation Desktop 2.0
Show notes / links:
Mark Rittman is joined by StreamSets' Pat Patterson, talking about data in motion and doing it at scale, the story behind StreamSets and the problem of data drift, and the challenges involved in managing dataflows at scale as a continuous operation.
Mark Rittman is joined by Jen Underwood to discuss the aftermath of the Gartner BI&A Magic Quadrant 2016 and the rise of self-service, Mode-2 analytics; innovation in predictive analytics and data preparation tools, and how the big data cloud vendors are differentiating themselves (or not).
Mark is joined by Cloudera's Mark Grover to talk about his work with Apache Spark and Apache Spot, and the book "Hadoop Application Architectures" co-authored with Gwen Shapira, Jonathan Seidman and Ted Malaska.
Mark Rittman is joined by special guest Paul Sonderegger, Oracle's Big Data Strategist, to talk about Data Capital and the economic impact of big data.
In this episode Mark Rittman is joined by Kent Graziano to answer the questions "Is data modeling now dead", and "is SnowflakeDB the future of analytic data engines in the cloud?"
- Better Data Modeling: An Introduction to Agile Data Engineering Using Data Vault 2.0
- Better Data Modeling: Tips for Enhancing Your Use of Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
- Kent Graziano Blog
- Building a Scalable Data Warehouse with Data Vault 2.0
- Snowflake Computing
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms 2016
- Gartner press release on their "modern BI platform"
In this episode I'm joined by Andrew Bond from Oracle's Enterprise Architecture team, to look back at the Oracle Information Management & Big Data Reference Architecture we collaborated on back in 2014 and ask ourselves what's changed, what parts of the architecture had the most impact and adoption in the market, and what are the challenges Andrew and his team see customers trying to overcome when deploying big data applications in the enterprise.