In this specially-extended episode just before ODTUG KScope'18, Mark Rittman is joined by Matt Yorke from Qubix to talk about Oracle Essbase Cloud, Oracle Analytics Cloud and the business of Oracle Cloud analytics consulting
Mark Rittman is joined by ThoughtSpot's Chief Data Evangelist Doug Bordonaro to talk about the value of data, issues around trust and consent raised by the EU's new GDPR regulations, and how ThoughtSpot are applying ideas from search engines combined with artificial intelligence smarts to surface insights and drive real value for business users from their analytics investment
Mark Rittman is joined by returning Special Guest Mark Grover to talk about his move from Cloudera and product engineering to a product manager role at Lyft; analytics use-cases in the ride-sharing industry; and the move from conversations about ETL tools, technology and engines to templates, paradigms and developer productivity.
- Mark Grover LinkedIn Profile and Github Profile
- "Hadoop Application Architectures"
- "Drill to Detail Ep. 7 'Apache Spark and Hadoop Application Architectures'
- Lyft Engineering Blog
- "Software Engineer to Product Manager" blog by Gwen Shapira
- "Introduction to the Oracle Data Integrator Topology" from the Oracle Data Integrator docs site
- Apache Airflow and Amazon Kinesis homepages
- "Experimentation in a Ridesharing Marketplace" by Nicholas Chamandy, Head of Data Science at Lyft
- "How Uber Eats Works with Restaurants"
- "Deliveroo has built a bunch of tiny kitchens to feed more hungry Londoners" - Wired.co.uk
Drill to Detail returns after the New Year break with Special Guest Julian Hyde from Hortonworks to talk about bitmap indexes and CASE tools, Mondrian and open-source OLAP analysis, and Apache Calcite's mission to bring sanity, cost-based optimisers and support for OLAP workloads to today's dis-aggregated, distributed new-world database engines.
- Oracle Designer page on Oracle.com
- Bitmap Index page on Wikipedia
- Mondrian project page on Github
- Mondrian OLAP Server page on Wikipedia
- MultiDimensional eXpressions (MDX) page on Wikipedia
- Julian Hyde blog
- Apache Calcite project homepage
- Apache Calcite Introduction and Overview deck
- Streaming SQL presentation at Apex Big Data World 2017, Mountain View, California
Mark is joined in this episode of Drill to Detail by Wes McKinney, to talk about the origins of the Python Pandas open-source package for data analysis and his subsequent work as a contributor to the Kudu (incubating) and Parquet projects within the Apache Software Foundation and Arrow, an in-memory data structure specification for use by engineers building data systems and the de-facto standard for columnar in-memory processing and interchange.Read More